IC Rental Permit Requirements: Lunch-n-Learn
When: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:30 AM
Class Type: Elective
Certification: 1 Hour Elective Continuing Education
IOWA CITY NEW RENTAL PERMIT REQUIREMENTS:
The City of Iowa City is in the process of implementing changes to the rental permit process in an effort to preserve neighborhood stability. As of January 1st, new state legislation requires the City to change the way it regulates the occupancy of rental properties.
This class will cover the ins and outs of the new rental permit cap, new safety requirements, and new restrictions on items such as pavements and home additions.
- The rental permit cap for single household and duplex units and how it relates to the different rental permit districts
- Exceptions to the rental permit caps.
- New requirements for rental properties.
- Limits on total bedroom floor area in rental properties
- Requirements for minimum bedroom floor area in rental properties.
- Requirements for duplex separation.
- Requirement for deadbolt locks on all unit doors.
- Rental permit requirements for owner-occupied properties with more than on tenant.
- Enhanced rental permit sanctions for properties with multiple nuisance and criminal complaints.
- Occupancy limits on rental properties.
- How the Housing Code limits occupancy
- New changes to the zoning code that limits occupancy.
- Available options for owners and realtors to verify the ability to apply for and obtain a rental permit application during a real estate transaction.
Lunch served at 11:30 a.m. with program 12:00-1:00
Thank You to our lunch sponsor:
To view registration information, please sign in.
Stan Laverman, Senior Housing Inspector
for City of Iowa City